Have you ever heard about healthy pancakes without flour and refined sugar? It might sound a little weird, but it’s possible, and these nutritious pancakes taste good. You and your children will love them. You can make them for a quick healthy breakfast, but you can serve them any time.
We often have bananas in our fridge because we are real banana fans. We love it in its original form, but I repeatedly turn them into these super tasty pancakes. It is very healthy because it doesn’t contain any sugar, which I want to avoid entirely in my little girl’s early years. (My husband and many of his family members have been struggling with diabetes, and there are many overweight people among them.) Very ripe bananas are very sweet and give moisture and a pleasant flavour to pancakes.
It has a soft texture, so it is easy to chew for even little kids and enjoyable for adults.
These banana pancakes include yogurt, not milk, so kids for whom milk is not recommended for under one year can consume it. They contain whole grain oatmeal, not plain flour, which is very healthy for proper development. For frying, I use coconut oil, which is healthy and adds a uniquely delicious flavour to the pancakes. It is high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. These healthy ingredients make the pancake tasty and nutrient-dense, which is essential for mainly kids and adults.
1 ripe banana (about 1 cup sliced)
1/2 cup porridge oat
2-3 tablespoons Creamy Greek-style natural yogurt
1. Mash the banana until smooth.
- Grind the porridge oat with a coffee grinder. Add it to the mashed banana with the yogurt and the egg. Gently stir together until smooth.
- Warm a nonstick or cast-iron pan to medium. Add a small coconut oil, melt it, and spread it around the pan.
- Put a tablespoon of batter into the pan and spread it, forming a small palm-sized pancake. Reduce the heat a bit because it can burn fast if the temperature is too high.
- Once bubbles come up and the edges are done, flip it with a spatula and fry it that side until golden brown as well.
- Continue to fry the rest of the batter.
- You can serve it immediately or top it with your favorite toppings.
You can freeze the leftovers. Let them cool fully, store them in a freezer container or bag, and freeze them for up to 3 months. You can warm it in the microwave for 15 seconds.