Have you ever heard about healthy pancakes without flour and refined sugar? It might sound a little bit weird, but it’s possible and these nutritious pancakes taste good. Your children and you will love them. You can make them for a quick healthy breakfast, but you can serve it any time.
We often have bananas in our fridge because all of us are real banana fans. We love it in its original form, but I repeatedly turn them into these super tasty pancakes. It is very healthy because it doesn’t contain any sugar, which I want to entirely avoid in my little girl’s early years. (My husband and many of his family members have been struggling with diabetes and there are many overweight people among them.) Very ripe bananas are very sweet and give moisture as well as pleasant flavour to pancakes.
It has a soft texture, so it is very easy to chew for even little kids and they are very enjoyable for adults too.
These banana pancakes include jogurt, not milk so kids under 1, for whom milk is not recommended under 1 year, can consume. They contain whole grain oatmeal not plain flour, which is very healthy for proper development. For frying I use coconut oil which not only is healthy, but it adds special delicious flavour to the pancakes. It is high in fiber, vitamin and minerals. These healthy ingredients make the pancake tasty and nutrient-dense which is very essential for mainly kids but for adults as well.
1 ripe banana (about 1 cup sliced)
1/2 cup porridge oat
2-3 tablespoon Creamy Greek style natural jogurt
1. Mash the banana until smooth.
- Grind the porridge oat with a coffee grinder. Add it to the mashed banana with the jogurt and the egg. Gently stir together until smooth.
- Warm a nonstick or cast-iron pan to medium. Add a small bit of coconut oil, melt it and spread around the pan.
- Put a tablespoon of batter into the pan and spread out it forming a small palm-sized pancake. Reduce the heat a bit because it can burn fast if the temperature is too high.
- Once bubbles come up and the edges are done, flip it with a spatula and fry it that side until golden brown as well.
- Continue to fry the rest of the batter.
- Serve it immediately or top it with your favourite toppings.
You can freeze leftovers. Let them cool fully and store them in a freezer container or a bag and freeze up to 3 months. You can warm it in the microwave in 15 seconds.